CommPost

Thursday, June 08, 2006

TERROR AND CHARITY

So just about everyone on the planet knows about the recent foiled attempt to inflict terror on Canada. These were, for the most part, homegrown terrorists such as those in London last year and we were very lucky that this plan was stopped before it could go off. I think we should all be very thankful and appreciative of our security apparatus that unlike the US is not public 24/7 but remains sensitive to the treating people justly. I for one am increbily proud at how each police/security agency functioned, and proud of how the government just did its job without constant press releases the whole time.

I also think its important now, not to look at this as an attack of islam on Freedom. I have travelled to middle eastern countries, I have very close friends who are devout, and not so devout, muslims and I can tell you it is a beutiful religion and one of peace. Extremists are extremists in any faith. Christianity has its share, as does Judaism, Sikhism, Hinduism etc etc. The point is that it is doubtful that any religion preaches anything but tolerance and brotherly love. Unfortunately there are individuals twisted by hatred and bigotry in every faith who don't want peace or cooperation or hamony. I pity all of these people and hope that each time there is an attack stemming from some form of religious or political extremism that the rest of the world, regardless of politics or faith, binds together even stronger in the face of an adversary that threatens us all.

As for CHARITY.

As many of you know I have recently convinced the City of Ottawa to provide seed money for a 'Sustainability Fund' for the city. While this is still early days I'm expecting, along with others in the city, to grow the fund to at least 1-5 million within 5 years (I low balled that at 100k and was told that I'd be able to go much higher???:).

At any rate, if anyone out there is interested, now or in the future, to donating to this fund you can do so here

http://www.canadahelps.org/CharityProfilePage.aspx?CharityID=31222 (select Donate now and then the Ottawa Sustainability fund from the drop down menu).

Also if people want to know more about the Fund or the Foundation that will administer it please have a look around the Community Foundation's website or leave me a message and I can send you the fact sheet on the Fund.

Cheers,

P

1 Comments:

  • Good work on keeping a lid on the press. I haven't even heard of it at all outside of this blog. Anyways, even much much better work on the charity. My contribution to charity in my new home-town has been to take part in the FIT financial industry in Tokyo charity run. I guess I don't fancy myself to be a very charitable person. ;-)

    Tokyo is still standing, though I am not much longer after a continuous 36 hours in the office without sleep. I am definately not getting paid enough for this.

    I would love to get to Canada (or anywhere else for that matter) this summer, but I just do not see that happening. Still, I will try my utmost to make it January.

    Cheers,

    F

    By Blogger Falco, at 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home