CommPost

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

BECOMING A COMODITY

This was issued yesterday http://www.pwgsc.gc.ca/text/factsheets/temporary_help_services-e.html

I spoke to my temp agency about this and while many of the specifics remain to be confirmed, my HR Associate (with Excel HR), has informed me that PWGSC is currently requesting that all staffing agencies who have won bids to provide staff to the federal government re-bid for seven (7) spots. This process is expected to take several weeks. There are approximately 141 staffing agencies who will be forced to compete for these 7 spots.

What I have been told, from my HR Associate, is that all current government contracts will be honoured until the date of expiration, but any extensions may not possible pending the bidding process. For those of us currently employed through such an agency it may mean that our agency loses the bid resulting in the loss of our positions once our contracts expire. We will be forced to compete for places in the 7 agencies that win the right to provide staff to the government, and if they are overburdened this will be by no means certain. More than likely however it will mean looking for work in greener pastures.

Further, my agency has informed me that even if our agencies win their bid, PWGSC will mandate that each employee must be paid no more than the 'average' for each category - referenced as 'market rate' in the PWGSC link. In other words if you are a senior officer with 20 years worth of relevant experience you will only be paid the 'average' wage for your category. It remains unclear whether the 'average' is based on what the agencies currently pay or TB salary guidelines. Regardless it could mean a significant pay cut for some.

Lastly, the agency informs me that they are currently preparing further and clearer information on this rather unpleasant situation and will provide this in due course. While there remains a fair bit of information to clarify and confirm, there are clearly some bad times ahead unless my position is formalized. I'm constantly reassured that 'things are happening' but unless they happen before September 29th, the date my contract expires, I'm out on my ass. No severence, no nothing.

In my office we currently have some excellent and very dedicated people here who are affected by this situation. Many of us have been temporary employees for well over a year and in most any other line of work we would likely all have some form of benefits package and some level of security independent of outside forces. Most of us are here because we care about the issues we deal with on a daily basis and would rather do this than 'sell toasters' at six figures. I sincerely hope that the government does not pursue this initiative and more imporatantly I hope it actually gets to the root of the issue.

Focussing how temp agency employees and contractors can be used is a good idea. However this will not be effective unless the government addresses the root of its Human Resource problems which is not enough stable funding to hire people and treat them with respect. If the government currently relies on temp help for many of its 'regular' positions, throwing us out of work isn't going to help. Give us REAL JOBS STEPHEN! Just remember, our generation will have to shoulder an enormous burden to sustain your generation's health care and pensions... if I were you I'd set conditions where we want to do this. Othewise... off on the ice floe with the lot of you. If your generation has taught us anything is that we must look after oursevles because you boomer sure as hell haven't and won't.

Cheers,

P

3 Comments:

  • Eh, what's the worst that could happen? You could end up doing a PhD...

    No, no, that's not what I meant! As in, that's not the worst that could happen... right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 PM  

  • Oh_God.....

    Actually the worst that can happen is that I end up selling my house, cancelling my wedding and honeymoon and become a telemarketer.

    The best case, of the worst, is that I get rehired somehwere else at a comparable salary. If not I'm taking a page from Dave's book and going overseas to teach enrish.

    Cheers,

    P

    By Blogger Patrick, at 6:49 AM  

  • Well said in the last paragraph P. The greying market is getting bigger, and we're going to have to work more years before retirement to support them. They should definitely be looking after us now (especially you guys in government positions)... As I keep saying to my mother: "I get to choose your nursing home".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home