CommPost

Monday, September 25, 2006

SORE and SORE

I'm sore. Liz, Adam S, Feiner, Glenn, Heather and Becky checked out the tree top obstacle course/zip line course yesterday http://www.aventurelafleche.ca/en/index.php . It was most sithum and a lot of fun but a few of the obstacles required more upper body strength than I could muster given my ratio of body mass to upper body strength. That said it was all worth it and tons TONS! of fun.

Oh and they also lost our reservation 3 times and 'customer service' in the span of 5 minutes insinuated that I was lying to them and told me that if I got rude so could they... some customer service. The result of the ensuing 'discussion' was that we got reservations for yesterday afterall and 1 free ticket. YEAH!

Secondly I'm sore that Canada has elected a detached, visionless Conservative government. Here's the latest: They intend to use the ENTIRE surplus to pay down the debt http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060925/surplus_payment_060925/20060925?hub=TopStories

So I guess our cities don't need money for infrastructure, I guess provinces don't need money to reduce medical wait times (one of your 5 ORIGINAL priorities that you've not talked about since you realized it was really provincial jurisdiction), I guess our children don't really need better child care, I guess the environment doesn't need fixing, I guess the military doesn't need better equipment, I guess we don't need a national drug plan, I guess we don't need more scholarship or investments in education, etc etc.

These guys have absolutely no clue and could care less about every day Canadians.

BRING ME BACK A GOVERNMENT THAT BOTH PAYED OUR DEBT DOWN AND REINVESTED IN OUR COUNTRY! BRING BACK THE 50:50 formula

Cheers,

P

6 Comments:

  • At least we're not Japan... here's a gem from a NY Times article about the cabinet appointed by new prime minister Abe:

    "The incoming state minister in charge of gender equality, Sanae Takaichi, was another social conservative who opposed allowing women to legally keep their maiden name after marriage."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:05 PM  

  • Oh, and... DOWN WITH THE TORIES!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:06 PM  

  • Yeah I got into a debate on the bus this morning with this guy I know who is a huge Jack Layton/NDPer. I stressed that despite the missteps by paul martin Layton helped elect harper by constantly basing martin and the liberals. While the liberals may have diserved it, CANADA does not diserve Harper.

    Needless to say he was a man of beleifs and would have none of it. Oh well. It will be to the country's peril. The sooner people wake up and vote either liberal or green the better.

    Cheers,

    P

    PS OUT WITH THE TORIES!

    By Blogger Patrick, at 6:45 AM  

  • While this may seem counter-intiuitive from a Western point of view, interestingly the reason why Japan is traditionally opposite from China and Korea in the adoption of last names after marriage is that in Japanese society women had a stronger role. While in Korea and China, traditionally the woman is not allowed to take the husbands' name after marriage, Japanese women were able to gain their husbands' name and thereby influence in the new family. Having a different name when you are not part of your original family, as women were in East Asia, represents your position at the very bottom of the food-chain.

    Cheers,

    By Blogger Falco, at 11:44 PM  

  • I dunno, Falco; I'd say any policy or custom that denies a person choice puts her lower on the food chain.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 AM  

  • Of course and I am completely against the state restricting personal choice, especially in something as personal as your own name! Just wanted to sound like a smartass by pointing out the historical background. :-) While I see the benefits of having one name for the whole family, I consider it wrong to force someone one way or the other (forcing them to either keep or take). In my own family history, I am quite happy that convention was not followed and to have a more unusual name than the "Schulz" I would have been if my mum had reverted to her maiden-name.

    Cheers,

    F

    By Blogger Falco, at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home