CommPost

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

MARRIED... sort of

So I got hitched on Saturday. The entire event was exhausting, wonderful and one helluva lot of fun. Without going into a lengthy discussion I'll just drop some of the highlights and the not so highlights below

Once again, for everyone who came and/or participated in the event Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart!

Highlights:

- Falco came
- The fire in the chapel during the service
- the sleigh ride with champagne (and bootlegged sctoch)
- Mazo's subs imported from Montreal
- seeing lots of friend and relatives all getting along so well [from both Liz's and my side]
- some of the key songs during the dance
- my very swish ring
- Will's reflection
- Tom saraneding me with his version of the North West Passage
- beign driven to the wedding in a Prius
- 1st dance on the frozen pond
- having a good deal of professional fireworks exploding over our heads during the fist dance on the frozen pond leading to an amazing visual effect of our silouhettes against coloured flashes of light on pure white snow and ice.

Less than highlights

- Forgetting the marriage liscence at home (so we still have some signatures to collect to be formally married!)
- having the music to be played during the signing ceremony and the candle lighting start at the wrong place (we used the theme from 1st contact but only wanted the good instrumental bit in the middle between the ST theme and the clangy borg theme. We got the ST theme and the part we wanted but it was a shock to everyone when the theme to star trek started playing...)
- the receving line could have been handled better
- my driver and wife feeling less than great by the end of the night so we had to leave the party early
- my complete disaster of a house now that it is full of all the boxes and such from gifts and the remnant of having people herding through it all week!

All that said as planning and weddings and parties go. I give this one a 9.

Cheers,

P

6 Comments:

  • Again congratulations Pat and Liz & sorry for calling you up so early on the day after! I really didn't want to raise you from your deep slumber of married bliss (or just sheer exhaustion after the event), but Jay had told me to check in with you before departing, so your Blackberry and myself conspired to give you a sunday morning headache. I had a really fantastic time at the wedding and Canada in general was totally awesome (thank you also Tom, Mario, Simon, Jay, Sweetie and everyone else)! Since you are not yet officially married, let's have another one! ;-) Thank you so much for having me.

    With regards to the "less than highlights" section, I think the license-thinggy is a great opener for the story of your wedding and its' not as if you are not getting married because of it after all and the ST theme was definitely a keeper.

    Cheers,

    Falco

    By Blogger Falco, at 1:06 AM  

  • All hail the married couple!

    I'm with Falco and agree that many of those non-highlights, although perhaps an inconvenience at the time, will be remembered with fondness and positive sentiment. They will make for great stories...they already do!

    If I'm ever to get married, I would love to have a '9 out of 10' wedding like the one you and Liz had. I thought the setting was gorgeous, the ceremony very touching, the reception and guests lively and engaging, the food excellent and the partying PAR-TAY like (okay, that last one was weak). The wedding was also full of pleasant surprises, like the first dance on the pond and the fireworks...really, really cool!

    Definitely an exciting day in more ways than one. Good on ya both!

    Now, go and enjoy that honeymoon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 AM  

  • It was an awesome wedding, Pat. And being able to hang out with old friends (and people I hadn't ever met in person, like FALCO!), made me really miss old times...

    By Blogger Kirk Schmidt, at 7:42 AM  

  • I'm definately in agreement with all that's been said. Don't worry about the less-than-sithum-ness of some of the events. Like Falco said it makes for a great wedding story, and the bottom line accomplishment was.. well.. accomplished!

    I'm glad to have been there with and for both you and Liz, and everytime I hang out with the different friends that you've made over the years, I feel like I've known them forever. (Mark: thanks for hanging out on the Friday, war museum and sushi are an awesome combo. Falco & Doug: Couldn't have asked for better roomates - all hail the apple wirless router.)

    At the same time, I also felt like it was a seemless "merger" between Liz's friends and family, and your friends and family. We all seemed to get a long famously, and there was no hesitation or pressure to start conversations, or put on false "faces". (This impresses me to no end due to this being not half as successful betwen April's and mine.)

    **Special thanks to my new Karaoke partner Dana!**

    So as to not create a novel on a blog, I'm going to cut it off here, but the bottom line was that it was an awesome time, and the fact that both yourself and Liz loved it means that it was mission accomplished.

    Jay

    PS. I think you should audio-blog your honeymoon.. no.. not THAT part of your honeymoon.. GIGGIDY GIGGIDY..

    ugh.. Mark, yours wasn't half as weak as that..;)

    By Blogger Jason Billingham, at 5:13 AM  

  • comments... awesome...

    I agree with you guys.. it was a great time. Thanks for partaking in it with me!

    Cheers,

    P

    By Blogger Patrick, at 6:48 AM  

  • Congrats, and I'm awfully sorry I missed it! I'm afraid you and Liz will just have to come see me when I get my place in Paris in April. ;) All the best to you both!!

    By Blogger Dave, at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home