CommPost

Thursday, January 04, 2007

ME VS. BA PART 2

So after a few faxes going back and forth between BA and myself they are now unconditionally offering the maximum amount of money they are legally required to pay me under the international convention which governs airline responsibilities. However, they have still not accounted for what happened to my exploded and completely destroyed luggage, nor have they, in my view, made any attempt to restore my confidence as a BA frequent flyer.

So the question to you all here is what action should I take?

My initial ask was for full compensation of the damaged articles ($2500), an explanation as to what actually happened to my bag, and lastly that I be upgraded to executive club gold status and given two round trip tickets to new york to replace some of my lost articles, not least of which was a very expensive suit.

BA has come back with about one thousand dollars less than I was asking. No explanation, and nothing else.

I feel compelled to press them a bit more (or should I just settle?)

Views?

4 Comments:

  • I'd take the money and be relatively happy. Still, I am also a German who lived in the UK for a long time, so I am well used to horrible service. My impression is that it works very differently in North America.

    Cheers,

    Falco

    By Blogger Falco, at 6:40 PM  

  • As it should.

    I've actually gone back to them stating that good customer service is not just what's required but making the customer happy.

    Secondly, since i'm like this, I read through the Montreal convention and found out that they miscalculated the SDR (special drawing rights) rate for the day I travelled so I went back to them with that as well.

    Further I still asked that they give me enough BA miles to travel to NY on AA their north american partner.

    So far I haven't heard back. either their ignoring me and just sending the cheque or they've gone to discuss with someone higher up.

    Cheers,

    P

    By Blogger Patrick, at 6:26 AM  

  • I know it's an aggravating process, but I would suggest you push for more. No harm in trying, particularly when this is all a game and BA fully expects you to provide a counter-demand.

    I would suggest you meet them in the middle. At first glance, I must say what you're asking for is perhaps a bit too much. I believe BA would never agree to compensate you for your suit, luggage AND give you two free flights. To them, this prospect would be 100%-plus compensation, whereas I’d guess the industry standard is closer to 50%. So, I suggest you could try pushing for 65-75% in compensation, and see what happens. As for getting an explanation about what happened, I think that’ll be the most difficult thing to provide. But, you can still use it as leverage.

    Your demands were high, and their offer was low…try to find a spot where you’re equally uncomfortable. Perhaps you could argue for the following restitution: a) compensation for your suit [if you have the receipt, they should give you 100%], b) $250 to replace your damaged luggage [a flat rate, unless you have the receipt], and c) half-off your next round-trip BA flight ≤ $750, and/or free upgrade to first class.

    This is by no means a short order either, ranging between $1,750-2,000, but perhaps this demand would be more palatable to BA, because they get to compensate you while also keeping your business by having you fly with them again.

    Bonne chance.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:51 AM  

  • Coming late to this discussion, sorry about that! I was, as you know, on vacation.
    Unless you're afraid they'll retaliate by offering you nothing (extremely unlikely if they ever expect any business from you or your friends again), I say push for more. They at least owe you the full worth of what was lost on their watch, and it doesn't sound like they've offered you that. If I were BA, I'd have offered the gold club upgrade and so forth without being asked. So by all means, ask! Bonne chance from me too.

    By Blogger Dave, at 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home