CommPost

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

ITS OFFICIAL

We have a Wii. Its great. I haven't bought a gaming system (other than a computer) in about 15 years. However this one is really a lot of fun and worth purchasing.

Anyway due to a strange twist of fate we now have 2 Wii's. (Liz bought one yesterday at the same time Adam was buying us one as a belated wedding gift). At first I wanted to sell the other one, then Liz wanted to take it back and buy games, then I wanted to donate it to a children's hospital or to a needy kid. Then liz said that hospitals could use donations more than Wiis and that there are a lot more things that needy children need than Wii's (and that in many cases these things can be more trouble than they are worth in both situations). I took the point but am still feeling like we should be doing something. So we've basically decided to hold off buying one until we can figure out exactly what the best course of action is.

Either way I'm on a plane on Thursday, I've got a semi-private audience with Thomas Homer Dixon tomorrow, I'm going to a pub to eat drink and be merry tonight (and watch photos from the Canadian delegates to the Nairobi meeting las fall), and I'm enjoying my Wii. Life is good.

Cheers,

P

7 Comments:

  • Life is good. I'm glad it's been treating you well lately, and hope it lasts in perpetuity.

    Enjoy the honeymoon! It should be a fantastic time.

    By the way, when will your wedding photos be shared? Do you know whether they've been posted somewhere? I was on Sweetie's blog, but no dice. Just curious.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 AM  

  • We have the photos. I think liz intends to send out a disc of photos and of the wedding music with the thank you cards. At least those are her current plans. I'm not sure when those might go out although it is unlikely to happen until we come back from Cyprus.

    Cheers,

    P

    By Blogger Patrick, at 11:34 AM  

  • EBAY, dude. People are still having trouble finding Wiis. Ebay the one, and use the funds to donate to a children's hospital or such.

    Also, as of yesterday, Super Mario World was released onto the Virtual Console (800 Wii points)... Robyn and I are going to look for some "Wii Classic Controllers" today so we can play some oldschool Mario World.

    By Blogger Kirk Schmidt, at 12:00 PM  

  • Wii for mee? Aw, well, Ebay sounds like a good option. Whatever you do with it, have fun~

    Enjoy your honeymoon! I am told they don't come by very often.

    Cheers,

    F

    By Blogger Falco, at 4:33 PM  

  • I'm not sure if I've congratulated you yet on getting hitched... but from all of the pictures I've seen it looks like it was a very nice day. As someone who has spent more then their fair share at children's hospitals I can say that there is a real lack of fun stuff to do at them for the kids. Unfortunately, if you just give the gaming system other games will probably never get purchased. I like the idea of selling it, and then making sure the hospital uses the money (or asking them what would be the best purchase) for the kids entertainment/distraction. If you have any questions on suitability of purchases, I'd be happy to help out!

    By Blogger Becky, at 6:42 AM  

  • I don't think I've congratulated you yet about getting hitched, but from all the pictures I've seen it looks like it was a very nice event. As a kid who spent more then their fair share in a children's hospital their is definitely a lack of activities to keep the older kids busy. Unfortunately if you donate the Wii system on it's own, new games will probably never get bought. I do like the idea of selling it and using that money to purchase something. Finding out if there is a computer that you could buy games for, or something else for teenage kids would be really good. If you want any help from me don't hesitate to ask.

    By Blogger Becky, at 6:51 AM  

  • opps... sorry about the double post. You can tell that I don't post too often, oh well.

    By Blogger Becky, at 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home