CommPost

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

GREAT WEEKEND HORRID TUESDAY

This weekend was absolutely lovely. The weather was perfect (15C-20C sunny slight breeze, coloured leaves falling to the ground). Saturday Liz and I went to Jessica and Joe's wedding. It was nice. The church was beutiful, the reception fun and the food good. It was also nice to spend time with Kirk and Robyn who were also up this weekend for the same wedding.

Sunday, liz and I took in a new (may) local farmer's market. It was magical, home made honey, baked goods, bison and elk meat, blue potatoes (which are delicious) and locally made/homemade hot sauces! Holy crap it was all so good. And again perfect weather.

We stopped at a patio along the way for a few pints and some snackies then went home and made a nice thanksgiving meal (roast pork, stuffing, red pepper soup, mashed [blue] potatoes baked with cheese and fried onions on top!).

Today however was less good. In fact this morning was so awful as to be comical. I woke up early becuase I had to take some clothes to the cleaners and send a card to my mom. I couldn't find the card. Then I couldn't find her address. Then when I had found all that I still needed to get dressed pack my work bag and take my clothes in. So running early turned in to running late.

Because of this I hopped on the back door of the bus. I didn't think there would be a problem as I had bus tickets to pay if the lawman came on board. Apparently this was also not the case. Having a ticket to pay is not the same has having paid. I'm too used to European transit systems where if you are caught without having paid they make you pay. If you can't pay they give you a fine. Here they give you a fine even if you can pay. I'm going to try to make it to court this afternoon to plead guilty with an explanation to get the fine removed to a warning or at least reduced.

Because of all this nonsense I then missed my bus and was late for work.

WORST MORNING EVER.

Cheers,

P

6 Comments:

  • Sorry Pat. Hope the rest of the week goes better.

    By Blogger Kirk Schmidt, at 10:01 AM  

  • It already is. I had the $150 fine reduced to $45. I'd love to find that bloody green onion and tell him that the judge thought so highly of his ticket and judgement that he reduced it by over 70%!

    Suck it jackass!

    Cheers,

    P

    By Blogger Patrick, at 12:30 PM  

  • Bloody green onion? That needs an explanation. ;)

    Was it the driver who caught/ticketed you, or some "Bus Marshall"?

    I guess there's a financial incentive to fine people...because $150 is a lot! I’d be curious to know how much of the city’s transit revenue is made up from fines...though I assume it goes back into general revenue.

    Nice that you had it reduced though. Still, you'd think at a time when public transit commissions are vying to attract more riders (and keep existing ones), they’d be a little more understanding and compromising...a la warning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 PM  

  • You'd also think that some of the money collected could go into actually having comfortable buses that run on-time and are convinient. None of that currently happens at least not where I'm concerned.

    Green Onion is a term my parents used to use for the meter maids in montreal. It kinda stuck:)

    Cheers,

    P

    By Blogger Patrick, at 1:49 PM  

  • Holy crap! Pat, I'm sorry about that.

    Also I'm sorry about what just happened to you in Diplomacy... you just can't count on Turkey.

    You know, we have a very nice transit system in Vancouver, and the drivers are all either friendly or sober... sometimes both!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • wow... its the promised land!

    The drivers here are either surly or very surly.

    In the past 4 months I can count exactly 2 pleasent drivers.

    Cheers,

    P

    By Blogger Patrick, at 6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home