CommPost

Friday, November 24, 2006

THE BATTLE for SERENITY (or how I learned to stop worrying and love leaky pipes)

So the plumber tore the wall opened and replaced the old shower unit. So he did not replace the wall.

I have to say with some pride that Liz and I (I mostly under her instruction) replaced the dry wall (including cut it to size and peared holes in it for the spout and shower knob), installed it, adheased the shower plastic back onto it and cleaned it all up.

That was the first small victory.

The second was that when we turned the water on nothing exploded or sprayed or otherwise went horridly.

The thrid victory was that the new shower pieces worked.

The only remaining concern is that the shower spout still leaks somewhat. FAR FAR less than before but it is still leaking. I might get the plumber to come back if only because he's now relatively familiar with teh system. I also no longer think this new small leak will require him to pull out the wall again as we've done that. I'm convinced that the problem now is is somwhere in how we installed the hand knob or the the shower spout.

I think we're almost there but at least now the drips are by drop and not by stream! The way they were before.

The fun of a house... ARE YOU LISTENING MARK! :) Hey... at least we're in this together now.

Cheers,

P

PS OFF TO GERMANY TOMORROW WITH A STOP OVER IN LONDON. HUZZAH!

1 Comments:

  • The trials and tribulations of home ownership; a love-hate relationship.

    I had a small scare myself, but thankfully it was all cleared up last night.

    To my surprise and disappointment, about two weeks ago my realtor informed me that the city did not perform a final inspection on the new addition of the house I just bought (the seller put an extension on last summer that doubled its size). Not a biggie in and of itself, because I am protected by a clause in the agreement of purchase and sale that states all inspections and subsequent work orders must be complete within two weeks of closing (Dec. 28). Besides, the final inspection is more of a formality.

    What was scary was the suggestion that the interim inspections were not carried out. These are the most important, substantial inspections, because it's where the city inspector evaluates all electrical, plumbing and foundation/structural work in great detail, making sure the new addition meets all the codes. The thing is, the seller’s agent did not confirm that these inspections were carried out...introducing a potential fear that perhaps the addition was done illegally. Although the seller produced the building permits (I wouldn’t have agreed to purchase the place otherwise), their agent was unwilling or unable to confirm that the city inspected and approved the work as it was happening.

    Well, last night, I visited the seller and my house-in-waiting for a pre-move check-up, and the seller did confirm that the interim inspections were in fact completed, and passed. All relevant documentation is with her lawyer, and will sent to mine next week. She also confirmed that the city has already come by to do the final inspection, and has required only one work order: that the smoke detectors be replaced with dual smoke-carbon monoxide detectors, as per the new fire code.

    So, it appears all the work is up to code, and the deal is still on. In less than 6 weeks, I’ll be moving in!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home